Unit Commitment and Dispatch Optimisation
The Unit Commitment and Dispatch Optimisation tool allows users to easily complement traditional network simulation with a market simulation, without any need for an external tool, providing a single entry point of information for simulation models. The module solves the unit commitment linear-programming problem over a predefined period of time, while optimising the operating point of the dispatched generators such to minimise overall operating costs. Hence it smoothly combines the functionalities of a Quasi-Dynamic Simulation, Optimal Power Flow and Contingency Analysis. The function supports both internal as well as external LP-solvers like IBM CPLEX and GUROBI, thereby allowing the integration of existing LP simulation environments into PowerFactory.
- Power plant dispatch optimisation for Market Simulation
- Minimisation of redispatch costs, such as operating, emission & startup costs, including curtailment of renewables/load shedding
- Optimisation (AC and/or DC) of generator dispatch schemes including hydro unit, batteries and general storage devices, as well as control units such as phase shifters and HVDCs
- State-of-the-art solutions for performance and memory efficiency
- User-definable time periods and resolutions
- Constraints including branch & boundary flow limits, voltages, as well as ramping, minimum up/down times or spinning reserves of generators
- Support of Contingency Constraint optimisation
- Seamless integration of all market parameters into network model
- Numerous reporting facilities, and result visualisations, including energy plots and dispatch schedules
- Post-assessment tools for detailed investigations
- Automated generation of optimal solution scenarios
- For standard size optimisation problems: ships with built-in solver
- For solving large-scale problems: integrated optional interface1 to external solvers such as CPLEX, GUROBI or data exchange via AMPL-NL file format
1Requires Unit Commitment and Dispatch Optimisation Interface licence. CPLEX and GUROBI licence to be purchased separately.