The PowerFactory Cable Analysis tool contains two packages: Cable Sizing and Cable Ampacity Calculation.
The Cable Sizing package can be used either to verify the suitability of the assigned line types or to obtain recommendations for new line types according to a selected International Standard or according to user-defined voltage, thermal, and short-circuit constraints.
The Cable Ampacity Calculation assists in the determination of the maximum allowed current of a cable by taking different factors into account such as conductor temperature, the local environment and other cables nearby.
- Automatic cable sizing based on IEC 60364-5-52, BS 7671, NF C15-100, NF C 13-200, VDE 0298-4 and VDE 0276-100
- Support of standard Load Flow, LV Load Flow and User-defined Current options
- Cable sizing optimisation priority
- Cable cross-section
- Parallel cables
- Downsizing of cables
- Consideration of thermal loading constraints for lines
- Consideration of terminal voltage limits and limits on voltage change along feeders and/or cables
- Consideration of short-circuit constraints
- Balanced (positive sequence) or unbalanced calculation with support of all phase technologies (1-, 2- and 3-phase systems, with or without neutral conductor)
- System phase technology and cable type consistency checks in the feeder
- Various verification reports and automatic modification of cable types in the existing network via Network Variations
Cable Ampacity Calculation
- Cable Ampacity calculation based on IEC 60287 or Neher-McGrath method
- Evaluation of maximum allowable current for cables based on cable material, laying arrangement and environmental data including presence of external heat sources
- Convenient cable layout modelling capabilities, supporting all laying arrangements of single and multi-core cables
- Detailed reports and automatic modification of cable derating factors in the existing network via Network Variations